Bank scam circulating SWFL

Scam and phone number related news and forum announcements.
ScamNumbers
Site Admin

Bank scam circulating SWFL

Post by ScamNumbers »

http://www.winknews.com/2015/07/30/bank ... ting-swfl/
NAPLES, Fla.- Another bank scam is infiltrating Southwest Florida.

Residents are receiving calls from an automated recording informing them that their debit card is locked. In order to unlock it, a debit card number must be provided.

“This has been going on for several years now,” said Sgt. Brian Sawyer with the Collier County Sheriff’s Office. “It’s not specific to Bank of America we’ve seen them try every different type of bank out there.”

It’s a common phishing scam criminals are using to get you to divulge personal information so they can rob you later. It can also come in the form of a text which is known as “smishing.”

“I received this text from supposedly Bank of America to call a number to give my debit card information. I started to do that and then realized quickly this didn’t seem right so I hung up and called customer service,” said Yvonne Frappier-Fazio.

In the 20 years she’s been a Bank of America customer, this was the first time she’s been targeted.

“You just feel kinda violated. I did learn from customer service they never text you with any changes in your account, they would email me.”

Sgt. Sawyer says scammers have gotten very good with spoofing calls or texts to fool you. His advise is to turn the tables and don’t fall for it.

“Any type of cold call, especially if it’s a legitimate incident, they’re not going to have a problem with you hanging up and contacting their number.”
You can contact me at admin @ scamnumbers . info